Founded by the Franciscans in 1531, the early convento of Santa María Tlatlauquitepec became the most important mission in the northern sierra region of Puebla. Construction of the church of Santa María de la Asunción was finished by 1693.
A stone cross boldly carved with Passion symbols stands atop the crowning gable.
Another recognizable remnant of the early mission is the monolithic baptismal font.
text © 2020 Richard D. Perry
images by Niccolo Brooker and from online sources