Dedicated to St Bartholomew (San Bartolomé) this substantial colonial church is set within a raised atrium of ancient Maya origin and presents a plain but imposing front in familiar Yucatecan style, capped by soaring twin belfries.
A dated inscription above the choir window (1787) probably marks the addition of the upper gable and belfries to the steeply pitched 17th century front (still visible: in outline)
The massive crenelated church walls are shaped into a series of deep arched niches along the nave interior.
text © 2020 Richard D, Perry
images by the author and from online sources