|Chihuahua cathedral. the main altarpiece today|
The colonial structure, of which only the outer columns and sculpture niches are still visible, was the ultimate work of the Durango architect and designer Nicolás Morín and is dated 1791/2. Nicolás died in 1791 however and the altarpiece was completed by his son Ignacio.
|Chihuahua cathedral. main altarpiece before alteration|
Following the 1930s addition, in the 1940s the modest undulating pediment, housing statues of the Virtues, Faith, Hope and Charity, was replaced by a flashy, neo rococo gable.
|The Virgin of Regla (Bargellini)|
retablo of San José
|The two other stone retablos in the cathedral are an almost identical pair that face each other across the nave and are dedicated to San José (1793) and N. S. de Los Dolores (1803-13) respectively. |
However they were later completed as they appear today by a different architect, Juan de Pagaza Urtundua, more in the turn of the century "neostyle" fashion, combining baroque and neoclassical elements. Fluted Doric columns appear alongside broken baroque pediments and lambrequins.
text © 2015 Richard D. Perry. color images by Niccolò Brooker except where noted.