Place of the Burned Palm
Located on an unpaved road off Rte 125 south of Teposcolula, the rural church of Santa Maria Nduayaco appears little changed since colonial times.
The narrow stone apse, which may have originally functioned as an open chapel, is buttressed by thick walls and faced by a painted archway with the date 1687—probably when the present church was completed.
Wooden columns and stone pillars, some with sculpted capitals, divide the nave into three aisles, all covered by low wooden ceilings with carved beam ends.
While this arrangement has been subject to later reinforcement with cement beams, such interiors are rare in this part of Oaxaca, although it may be based on nearby San Juan Teposcolula.
text © 2020 Richard D. Perry
color images from online sources. graphic © Robert Mullen